Thursday, November 14, 2013

Forgotten Resolutions for School Year 2013-14


So I just found this blog post from August that I guess I never quite published.

It's interesting to see what I planned to do and what I've actually done. It's good to see what I need to really get working on!
  • Be a better sister and daughter. Respond more quickly and fully to my parents' emails and blog posts and phone calls. Call, email or text one of my siblings most days. Think of them and pray for them more. (I need to work on this one quite a bit.)
  • Be a better wife. Put away my work in the evenings when Jared is home, plan more dates, give more compliments, do nice little extra things more often. (I've been sort of good at this sometimes but I can be better.)
  • Be a better mom. Plan more time to get out the door and to get to bed so that I'm not in "hurry mode" so much and I can really listen and make time for moments more. Take each child on an individual date every month (even if it's just part of an errand I need to do). Spend extra time with each child when I tuck them in, giving them sincere compliments and thanks for things that happened that day. (I have done better with this one this year but I can definitely do more - I'm recommitted thanks to this podcast I did a few days ago.)
  • Be more involved in the kids' school. I was WAY involved for years but then took things down a few notches for a while. I'm feeling a real need to get more involved in their classrooms again. (I get an "F" for this one. I've missed every PTA meeting even though I'm on the board because they've happened right during all Isaac's Cross Country meets and I haven't followed up on my offer to do special storytime/character education in the twins' class - yes, maybe it's the teacher's job to follow up after I offered but I think I'd better be the one to follow up at this point if it's ever going to happen...And after seeing just a few not-too-stellar grades from first semester, I've committed to checking Power School every Sunday with each kid so we can keep up on their grades better.)
  • No eating anything but fruits and veggies after 8pm. (I probably get a "C" on this one. I feel so much better when I keep this rule but long hard days just make me crave a treat after the kids are in bed!)
  • Get up earlier - 6:40 so I can be at the table by 7:00 for scriptures and have breakfast on the table by 7:20 so we can be on time for school. (I've been getting up and getting myself downstairs much better than in previous years but I've still got a ways to go on this! I just feel SO tired in the mornings and a couple extra minutes of laying there seems like gold even though it really doesn't do anything for me...)
  • Be on time for things. Plan extra time. Be five minutes EARLY for things even. (I think I get a "B" on this one. I've actually been much better at being on time for things and have stopped being so optimistic about how long things are going to take - that's one area where optimism doesn't serve me well.)
Now that this is published, I'm going to be extra serious about this stuff. That's how I am. Once I say I'm going to do something out loud or to someone else, I'm much more likely to actually do it than if I just commit to myself!


2 comments:

charity eyre wright said...

saren, you are the awesomest. good for you for renewing your resolutions, but also recognize how much you get done and how much you do for others! you're amazing. i love you!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. So many of my goals are similar and the grades you gave yourself make me feel like I'm normal and not a failure. I really appreciate how genuine you are. You are an inspiration to me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails